Thursday, September 13, 2007

Progress




It's on. Today was a good day. I did some snatches. I've been doing some here and there over the past few days, but today I decided to do a little more. About 200. Only with the 16kg, but hey, I'll take it. And, they felt good. I completely focused on hip drive and hip hinge. Powering it up with the hips and absorbing it with a good hinge on the way down. Nice and slow with a good 1 sec pause at the top. Man it felt great. I'm getting better everyday. I'm not 100% yet, but I have it in my sights.

Today's routine:

Snatch w/ 16kg
10/10 x 10 sets w/ 15 to 25 sec rest b/w sets (towards the last sets, i really didn't rest much if at all b/w sets)

Swings w/ 24kg
10/10
12/12
14/14
16/16
18/18
20/20
This was pretty tiring. I was fresh as a daisy after the snatches, but dry as a weed after the swings.

Like I said though, it all felt good. Really concentrating on how I lower the bell. Don't want to back track with the elbows.

Anyways, I'm happy. Hope you are too.

3 comments:

Franklin said...

Hi Tim,

Great progress on your road to recovery! I'm looking forward to being healthy again hopefully not in the too distant future. (I sure miss KB snatches and swings)

Thanks again for recommending the Palm held "Thumper" from Homedics for my elbow. It arrived today and is excellent! Do you use the contour attachment for your elbow? Also, do you use the soft red massage and heat attachment as part of your re-hab?

Recently I added no-KB swings to my BW workouts and they really do add a great cardio effect when I do them really "hard" and slow. Also I'm anxious to try Joe Pavel's, "No hands 24kb swings" as described in his latest dragondoor article .... I'll pick up a jump rope tomorrow.

I saw my primary care physician today for the first time in 2 years and my blood pressure is down from 138/90 to 120/82. My weight is also down from 193 to 180 lbs. She was very happy to see the improvement and asked what I was doing. Of course she had never heard of kettlebells so I gave her a 5-minute low down regarding is great benefits. Then we got into the problem of my very sore left elbow. She put me on 800 milligrams of ibuprofen 3x daily for the next 2 weeks. Of course I have to still go real easy avoiding any upper body work that stresses my elbow during this time as well.

Please continue your excellent blogging as I really am enjoying it and learning a lot.

Unknown said...

Franklin,
Hang in there. You will be snatching again, just stay determined and yet patient. I'm still trying to learn how to do that!

I use the red heat attachment. Haven't even tried the others yet.

I was desperate when i came up with the no-kb swings, but if you do apply all the rules of a swing, they work quite nicely. It's kind of weird what your body can do when you put your mind in your muscles. Since you mentioned getting a jump rope, that is also one of my favorite portable cardio choices when i feel like doing cardio or don't have a kb close by.

Congratulations on the blood pressure and the weight loss. That is fantastic! Keep at it and tell your friends. You can help others do the same thing. That is awesome.

I hope your elbows get well soon. One thing that I think has made a huge difference in mine is Z-health. You might look into that @ www.Zhealth.net. It's different but I think i'm hooked.

Thanks for your kind words and keep me posted on your progress.

Doug Nepodal Sr. RKC said...

Glad to hear that your getting back into it.

Ps let me know when you want a shirt I have a paypal set up